 Space / 6445
Re: Voltron?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 07:59:34 GMT

I just looked at the Fenris mecha at Moonbase IO and it is a great
model.(Good job Todd) It also brought back some memories.  Memories of
Voltron the original combination mecha.(At least I think so.  I know they
based power rangers on Voltron, but was there anything before him?)

Voltron was originally a Chogokin or Godaikin in america or europe. He was
originally called either Go-Lion or Lion bot (I always get these
confused...one was a Korean knockoff) Anyway the name "Voltron" (and Vehicle
Voltron) is an american creation much like Robotech and Transformers.
Japanese toys and american stories. (whats ironic is "Transformers" later
went back to Japan with the new american story after being originally
released there as Diaclones, Microman, Beetras, etc etc...)

To answer your question their are many many cool robots similar to Voltron,
from lots of crazy japanese shows ranging from the late 60s to the early
80s. To be honest I don't really consider these types of robots "Mecha", I
usually use this term for post Gundam and Macross robots - but then thats
just me being picky. They are however very very cool and provide lots of
cool modular building ideas.

For
those of you who don't know what Voltron is, he was a giant mecha made • from
five lions who combined to destroy evil robots sent by the evil guy whose
name I forgot.  Anyway after looking at the legs on Todd's model I • realized
that it is the perfect way to build Voltron.  Has anyone ever tried to • build
Voltron?  Does anyone want to?

This has actually been an idea in the back of my mind for some time. Not
particularly like voltron but maybe like another big Godaikin.

Check out here for some other 'bots:

http://members.aol.com/ghudson110/mwp/SMRRcatalogs1.html

by the way some of the Orguss toys are way cool if you like old Takatoku
Valks.
And I do think these are Mechs.

-Jon