 Space / 6446
6445  |  6447
Subject:
Why do you build?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:45:41 GMT

     I'm a space head and my urge to build stems from my sci-fi experiences.
My passion began waaaaaay back in fifth grade, I'm twenty-four now.  My very
first book report was done on Robotech #7: Southern Cross.  It was also the
first book I had read outside the normal realm of early adolescence.  In
fact, my area bookmobile librarian was uncomfortable getting me the rest of
the Robotech series because of its age group.  I'm not an expert on any
sci-fi series or anime, my parents kept me too busy then I joined the U.S.Navy.
     I did accumulate a nice collection of G.I.Joe action figures and
Transformers.  Many times I would imagine creating new vehicles and bases
from popcicle sticks and egg cartons (hey, I had a very active imagination
for my state of ignorance at the time).  When I was busy with my multitude
of chores I often imagined myself in the pilot seat of starfighters.
Everything within sight was a secret base with  hidden weapons and I was the
rebel commander leading my well armed and experienced ragtag followers
(normally consisting of the names and faces of school friends and cute girls).
     Over the years I've found that I have an eye for art.  I seem to have
lots of potential in a multitude of artistic fields, though lack difinitive
skill in any area.
     That's where Lego re-entered my life.  I especially like sci-fi and
fantasy art: paintings, sculptures, cgi renditions...etc.  Though I enjoy
attempting to draw scenes or write stories, I have a hunger to hold three
dimentional objects of my own creations in my hands.  I would love to simply
build plastic models and set them on a shelf display, unfortunately models
of my interest are in short supply.  And so I build with Lego.
     I am learning to build functonal and detailed models that I can take
pictures of, then disassemble to reuse the pieces.  I hope to one day create
scenes on my computer using my pics.  Perhaps to go as far as writing
stories and using pics of my models to illistrate them.
     I use Lego to further my artistic skills.
     I use Lego to satisfy my hunger to create.
     I use Lego as a means to release my imagination in healthy doses.

     ...so, why do you build?

~Kirby~