 Space / 4225
Re: Space World Hosting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:24:39 GMT

In lugnet.space, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Mike Stanley writes:
You could get about the same deal (less mailboxes, but mailboxes
aren't that important imo) and be almost guaranteed better reliability
from http://www.pair.com

But will you have a cgi-bin and SSI for the base Pair account?  Not that I
know of...and I've contacted the company in question, and they say they do
offer both.

Not for that price, no.  But what I've found to be true, especially with
respect to webhosting, is you get what you pay for.  I used Pair for a year,
then moved to a company for a year that offered "more for less".  I moved
back right after that year was up.

When you shop for something like webhosting based almost solely on price,
you usually go with the cheaper provider - and you usually get the cheaper
service.

Heck, with the prepayment discounts Pair offers you could get their advanced
account with cgi-bin and SSI for just a little more than this company you're
talking about - I'd even help make up the difference to help prevent you
going with a company you admit you know nothing about other than they're cheap.

I also think it is odd that this place is offering essentially $8/mo service
on NT/IIS.  Dan and I were looking into IIS/SQL providers earlier this year
and they're usually MORE expensive across the board than Unix-based
providers (and why not - they have to pay a *fortune* to license the stuff
for use on the web).  That this place is IIS-based and on the ultra-low end
suggests corners are probably being cut.

If you're totally sold on NT/IIS webhosting I'd ad least go with a proven
company like Interland.  Just have fun with their pricing.  :)