 Space / 4211
Re: Space World Hosting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 00:17:40 GMT

"Mike Stanley" <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote in message
news:G328Ls.JJ@lugnet.com...
<big snip>
They run FreeBSD (Unix) and are most concerned
with uptime and network performance - which is why
they don't run anything made by Microsoft.  :)

I'd like to respectfully disagree with your comments on NT/IIS. I work
with websites running on NT/IIS every day, and I find it to be very
stable when it's configured properly. The configuration doesn't even
take much work, really, you just need to know how to do it. The problem
is that most people don't take the 15 minutes that it takes to get the
thing running correctly. My website is hosted on an NT/IIS server, and
I've had less than 10 minutes down-time in 6 months.

All that said, I've also used Unix servers and found them to be very
reliable as well. I just don't find much uptime/performance difference
between a properly configured NT server and a properly configured Unix
server. Just figure which one fits the task best and use it.

--
later...    Jer
irvinej@accuvera.com