 Space / 4207
Re: Space World Hosting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:15:28 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
Hi Everyone.

I am thinking about going with the hosting solution that Bram offered
earlier.

http://www.nccw.net/hosting.html

I can't spare $100 on this, but I could spare $25. If I can get a couple
more folks to chip in, we could get the site going.

Saw this thread on the main page and got curious.  I don't normally read .space.

Looks like nobody has any direct experience with them.  That coupled with
the fact that they're running IIS on NT would make me want to at minimum do
some heavy research into their reliability, uptime, and service.

$100 is a good deal for a year, but not unheard of, btw.

You could get about the same deal (less mailboxes, but mailboxes aren't that
important imo) and be almost guaranteed better reliability from
http://www.pair.com

I have all my domains hosted on an account at Pair.  I know at least one or
two other AFOLs use them for webhosting.  LUGNET itself is run on a
dedicated server at Pair's facilities, I believe.  I've always been happy
with them.  They run FreeBSD (Unix) and are most concerned with uptime and
network performance - which is why they don't run anything made by
Microsoft.  :)

For domain registration, I'd suggest SimchaNIC at
http://www.simchasites.com/domains/

I've registered 2 domains so far through them.  At $11/year it almost can't
be beaten - and it used the OpenSRS system so you have real-time total
control over your domain, unlike those registered through Network Solutions.

Good luck with Space World - just make sure you go with a known good provider.