 Space / 4123
Re: My Space Theme Wish for 2001
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:29:17 GMT

In lugnet.year.2001, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.year.2001, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.space, Dave Schuler wrote:

In lugnet.year.2001, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
Obvious really

2001: A Brick Odyssey

I think I could manage the black obelisk

But we need some new pieces to make the large round front to the spaceship.

Hmm... Kubrick wasn't really known for toy merchandising of his films,
though.  But who knows?  Maybe we'll get Dr. Strangelove and Eyes Wide Shut
tie-ins, too!  8^)

Good thing Kubrick was filming someone else's property then, eh?

The film and cinematography owe at least as much to Kubrick's vision as to
Clarke's, and it was by Kubrick's request that the original models and
schematics used in the film were destroyed to prevent a cheap knock-off
sequel.  For that matter, they both wrote the screenplay for the film.

   Destroyed to prevent a sequel?  Then how, praytell, did that
   morass called "2010" make it into the cinemas?  (Or have I
   dredged up painful memories?)

Though I don't remember seeing too many "Rendevous with Rama" licensed
toys, either.

I'd love to get that cylinder in minifig scale!

   You could electrochrome it, and make it into the Cosmic Ho-Ho from
   "Star Trek IV."  At least with that 8-wide half-cylinder system
   coming out in 2001 (to get it back on-topic) they're moving in
   the right direction.

   best

   Lindsay