 Year / 2001 / 131
Re: My Space Theme Wish for 2001
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 18:40:26 GMT

In lugnet.year.2001, Tobias Möller writes:
What I found rather strange, though, was that after the astronauts
boarded Discovery and released oxygen in the ship, they just took their
helmets off and started breathing! Wouldn't the air be filled with
bacteria from rotten food supplies or something? And what I find even
more strange, is that their lungs don't freeze to death, IIRC they say
that it's more than -100°C in there...

  They did specifically address the temperature, and the robust cosmonaut
compared it to a cold Russian winter.  In addition, they'd turned the
thermostat on his suit way up to preserve his core temp.  I'm sure he
couldn't have lasted long, even with those precautions, but for a few
breaths I imagine it could work...?

  As far as the bacteria, I wonder what effect the vacuum and cold of 10
years in orbit would have.  Could terrestrial bacteria survive such
extremity?  I admit, though, that I wouldn't have been eager to remove my
hat in such an atmosphere!

     Dave!