 Year / 2001 / 19
Re: My Space Theme Wish for 2001
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:47:33 GMT

In lugnet.year.2001, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

The film and cinematography owe at least as much to Kubrick's vision as to
Clarke's, and it was by Kubrick's request that the original models and
schematics used in the film were destroyed to prevent a cheap knock-off
sequel.  For that matter, they both wrote the screenplay for the film.

  Destroyed to prevent a sequel?  Then how, praytell, did that
  morass called "2010" make it into the cinemas?  (Or have I
  dredged up painful memories?)

  Not too painful for me.  In fact, the models and sets had to be
painstakingly reconstructed from archival photography and notes still in
existence, and only following the approval of Kubrick himself.

     Dave!