 Space / 38278
Re: What's the hardest part of an MOC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:53:12 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Simmons wrote:
   For me, it’s always the beginning. Even though I did a few sketches this time to keep me focused, I still have the most difficult time just getting a shape together. Sometimes I wish I had a small bubble of zero gravity above my desk so that I could arrange pieces without connecting them. Wouldn’t that just be the bees knees?

The building process greatly resembles my writing process. I’ll squeeze out some terribly mediocre text and then finesse it up in the editing. MOC’s develop the same way. I’ll cobble together something that’s ugly and flimsy as all get out, then spend the majority of the time tearing down and rebuilding until I’m satisfied.

How ‘bout you?

Dave

For me the hardest part of an MOC is the finishing touches: Getting it to look JUST RIGHT. It can take anything between a few days to many months until I’m ‘happy’ with it (a subjective phrase indeed). For years before I knew of CAD and all the fancy stuff we have now, every night, I used to (and still do, actually) mentally design models before bed for a few minutes. It works way faster than CAD, although CAD is a big help when it comes to testing out new, more dubious ideas first. And you’re not the only one whos had the anti-gravity bubble dream, I’ve thought about the coolness of something like that too. As far as real-life models go, the recent discussion at JLUG proves that due to the abstract nature of space models, they’re a lot harder to get into the brick the design you had in the head. And sometimes you can start out with something in mind and end up with something totally different, which isn’t a problem faced by other builders who build real life stuff, as its just a matter of replicating what is there.

Legoswami