 Space / 37130
Re: ALC Orca Dropship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 03:20:45 GMT

In lugnet.space, Chappie Adams wrote:

I really like this ship. The more I look at it the more I like it.

My only suggestion is if those things on the side are thrusters, perhaps beef them up some and add air intakes.

Sigh. That’s what the big yellow (soon to be red) intake vanes on the front are FOR. :)

This design has dual spamcake plasma drives (exo-atmospheric) and conventional scramjets (endo-atmospheric), both of which utilize the same thrust nozzles. Hence the massive front intakes. The side thrusters are designed primarily for lift, with the bottom thrusters providing additional lift during initial takeoff as the ship gains speed, as well as for high speed maneuvering in space. You will also note small 1x1 round grey plates that represent the additional RCS (reaction control) ports. The side thrusters are sleek to minimize additional drag, and are only used to direct the secondary thrust in different directions as needed. The actual engines (plus fuel tanks, power plant and life-support systems) are inside the main body, sandwiching the crew and cargo cabins. Primary forward thrust, both in and outside of an atmosphere, is provided by the two main exhaust cones that are tucked under the rear control vanes.

The side vanes also flip up into a semi-feathered postion during re-entry.

End technical overview. :^D

But seriously, thanks for the comments. I’m glad you like it. I’m swooshing it now.

~Trev