 Space / 37126
Re: B.I. Joe: Killer Whale Hovercraft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.military
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:09:53 GMT

In lugnet.space, Joel Hart wrote:

It looks great! Having the toy, I have been wanting to build one myself.

You should! The mo’ the bettah!

   I have a couple of suggestions if you trying to make it a little more accurate.You could make the missle launchers smaller, just by using 2x4 bricks and sticking the cones on the end of it.

I was thinking of that when I was building it. In the end (like with quite a bit of the Joe stuff I make), I decided that play factor wins over accuracy as I wanted the missles to fit all the way into the box. I’m silly like that...always concerned with how things look ‘empty’. It’s strange, I know.

   There is a ramp on the front that flips down and leads to the troop bay.

Oh brother...you don’t know the anguish the skirt design caused me. In the end, I dropped the ramp and the spring loaded launching feature I had wanted just to make the blasted thing work at all :)

   The guns on top have two guns each.

Heh. I wondered who was going to notice that....good eye! This was a matter of part selection. A pair of binoculars in black would have clinched the double barrel, but alas, I’ve never even seen them. Other solutions ended up being too bulky to allow the guns to elevate enough to permit access to the cabin. I blame Lego...yeah, that’s the ticket.

   I never liked the motorcycle thatgame with the toy, so no loss there.

That seems to be the universal statement of those that owned the original. I had build in a hinged floor w/storage area below the flying deck to store the bike, but ended up not liking the bike itself, so it became an equipment locker. Of course, I forgot to photograph it :/ Mebbe at a later point.

   If you already studied the blueprints and decided that some of the above wasn’tfeasible, I certainly understand. It is a very impressive model. Yo > Joe!

The swearing of my wife at the leaving of Joe vehicle blueprints on the breakfast table will attest to my mild obsession with them. :) Thanks for the great observations and kudos!

Cheers, -Gil