 Space / 32434
Re: PP 1444 X, my P-38 contest entry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:40:07 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Ley Ward wrote:
   Greetings .spacers,

I would like to present my entry to the P-38 Contest. Please find a comfortable chair.

Ley- this thing rocks!! There are so many cool details, and your unique way of putting bricks together shines through in spades. It even has a color scheme! (heh)

   Whateverly Labs has produced the PP 1444 X under contract to Improbable Industries. The propulsion system is, unfortunately, classified at this moment. Some of you may note a dearth of those weapons of which you are so fond. I assure you that if you examine the pictures closely, you will note many attachment points for the poison of your choice. Oh, and those little white tubes are simply lasers for clearing the path of asteroids and other ‘space debris’, though I’m sure some of you will have other ideas...but, really, it’s meant for the pursuit of science.

Heh, that sounds familiar.

   Well, there will be plenty of time for more chit-chat later. Here’s the PP 1444 X(1):

(2)

Post mod folder

You may note that the entire cockpit section rotates to allow the pilot to choose his/her notion of ‘up’ without having to re-orient the whole ship. The power source in the rear also rotates using the JBIC(3) rationale.

As I indicated here, this is another approach to that canopy that some of us love to hate. This one’s for Tony

That is truly beautiful. Canopies that slide forward are definitely underused, and this looks like it slides far enough to give plenty of room for even clumsy fingers to fit the guy in.

   Before anyone thinks that they missed them on BrickLink, I’d just like to point out that the old clear macaroni bricks came with my set 311 Ferry, which I bought when it came out back in the mists of time... There was much excitement when those boat hulls appeared, speaking of that old set feeling. Here I go digressing again...

Without the fun of links, it wouldn’t be Ley. Now... I think that clear macaroni bricks also came on one of the Santa Fe car sets, though clear parts from the 70’s are likely a better color match to the grey canopies.

   PLMKWYT.

I think it’s beautiful! Favorite details include:
- The “ribs” with crossover curvy bits and clips on top
- Oval cutouts in the wings and the stuff in them

I would like to see the tail wings fixed to each other somehow, or better stabilized, though I can see that may not be an easy task. At first I thought that the Technic beams on the wingtips were a little off, but then I realized that you covered the studs but left in connection points for pins to allow addition of all kinds of fun stuff.

   PS. Builder’s notes will come later, along with details of the crazy SNOT that went into the fuselage. It’s 6 ways all studs in BTW.

I can’t wait to see these. The effect is great.

AndroDan
   Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com