 Space / 3175
Re: Thanks for dialing Ask-a-Judge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 18:29:39 GMT

In lugnet.space, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Mark Sandlin wrote:
Personally, I thought this was a perfect example of a
Sour-grapes-trying-not-to-sound-like-sour-grapes opinion.

Not very successful in that respect either.

Ditto...

All 4 category winners where CAD designs.????
Doesn't bode well for non-CAD builders who do not have 'virtually'
unlimited pieces or access to CAD (Mac users like me).  Guess
that's because Mookie (CAD/castle fan, if its the same Mookie I'm
thinking of, was a judge),  maybe not.

I'd also like to point out that many CAD builders (like myself) build just
about everything they CAD in real life first.  Maybe we sometimes take
liberties with colors (and of course with background scenery), but the model
has still been built with actual pieces.  People who have never used a CAD
program may not know that it is much MORE difficult (IMO) to build something
creative in a CAD program without building IRL first.  Furthermore, the
bigger something gets in a CAD program, the harder and slower it gets to
edit, so the "unlimited supply of pieces" is not a very good argument
against CAD entries.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
BXL34@po.cwru.edu
http://home.cwru.edu/~bxl34/

I have to agree with Bram on this one. EVERTHING that is on my web site has
been built in real life, in the colors shown. The reason that I use CAD is for
a full information exchange and design documentation. I enjoy looking at
pictures that other people have posted to their sites, but think that it is
nice to see a DAT file for construction details that might not otherwise be
seen. I assume that other people like the same. The other aspect is that up
until last month I didn't have a digital camera and still don't have a scanner.
Kinda hard to get pictures on your page without either of those two items.

I didn't win the contest. I'm a little disappointed of course, but unless it's
a contest with one entry how could I EXPECT to win? I thought the whole thing
was supposed to be a fun competition between Space builders. I had fun. That
was my goal. It also got me out a design slump which was excellent.

To the author of the letter: GET A LIFE! Obviously you were not a catagory
winner, or you wouldn't have written the letter. Better luck next time and may
the best design win based on the posted rules (which I encourage you to read
twice next time).

-Duane
http://www.geocities.com/dnjhess/lego.html