 Space / 3169
Re: Thanks for dialing Ask-a-Judge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 17:31:59 GMT

Okay, let's look at the models, shall we...

----
My model, I am so, so sure 80-90% of my "Elephant" can be built in correct
colours.

Steven MacDonald's I'm sure could-be-kinda-almost built in the right colours,
however I'm not sure.

Bram's "Sunjammer" was built in real life by Bram (right?) except without the
gold canopy.

Coby's Space Hearse, I am 100% sure can be and was built in real life.

Karim's "Comfort" Ship could also be built in the correct colours, mostly.

And Pat's model was built in real life as well as Bob Hayes' model.
----

And couldn't someone cheat in real life by just building one side of their
model in the correct colour? Or paint their LEGO? Or use Mega-Blocks?

And if anyone want to know, I have stopped "cheating" (as some of you put it)
by not changing the colours of my "Daredevil" AG Bike and Commercial Underwater
Patrol Mecha. So there you go.

BTW I'm pretty sure I know who wrote that message. ;-P

Mladen Pejic, over and out!
http://tor-pw1.netcom.ca/~milovan/index.htm

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
Hi everyone. I've decided to post this email, with the owner's name excluded
for their own privacy. I thought it would be good to post, because perhaps
some of you have similar opinions... perhaps not.

Personally, I thought this was a perfect example of a
Sour-grapes-trying-not-to-sound-like-sour-grapes opinion. Still, there may
be some questions some of you wanted to ask, but didn't out of respect for
everyone else.

Anyway, some of my responses are harsh, but some of the opinions in this
email I found personally insulting toward myself and others in the contest.
I responded with my honest opinions. Of course, since this is a news group,
if anyone disagrees with me they can reply in kind. Isn't technology grand?

Message follows:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for holding the contest.  It was fun.  I thought I would give you
my miscellaneous 'off the top of my head' critique of the winners.  I
didn't want to post this on Lugnet because I didn't want to get anyone
mad at me.

Ok, I'll do it for you, with your name omitted.

This is in no way to be considered 'sour grapes'  even
though I am a little disappointed (naturally).  No biggie at all, I just
wanted to tell you how I saw it.  There where some really great models
entered.

Yes, there were.

All 4 category winners where CAD designs.????

Doesn't bode well for non-CAD builders who do not have 'virtually'
unlimited pieces or access to CAD (Mac users like me).  Guess that's
because Mookie (CAD/castle fan, if its the same Mookie I'm thinking of,
was a judge),  maybe not.

That's not the case at all. All models were judged according to the criteria
I listed on my judging page. All models were each given a score by each
judge. The 3 scores were then averaged together. This was as fair as I know
how to make it. I invited the other two judges because they have different
standards and opinions from myself.  I'm obviously a Space fan, Mookie is a
Castle fan, and Sara, my wife, is a Non-Lego person. I think the outstanding
models were outstanding because of their ability to impress all of us, and
not just one.

I think CAD Lego is the antithesis of what
Lego is about (actual building; and using the limited pieces you have
available in new and creative ways).  The computer is just for
disseminating information and sharing pictures in my opinion,

I agree with your idealism on this, but it's really beside the point. Not
everyone has the luxury of a digital camera or the money to spend on getting
film developed/scanned/etc.

Also, I wanted to be open to everyone in the Lugnet community, regardless of
my own idealistic opinions about CAD. I think it would have been a much
smaller contest without CAD entries, not to mention starting a 500-post
thread on Lugnet about "why Mark isn't allowing CAD entries."

On the other hand, anyone can download one of the Lego CAD programs and use
it, and you all had 2 months to make something and/or learn how to use a CAD
program. I see the playing field as pretty even in this respect.

How hard/creative is it to just slap some space engines on an otherwise
regular looking car/garbage truck/hearse?

How hard/creative is it to build anything? I thought the "hover car" type
entries were very interesting. Sure, they might've looked like a Town
vehicle with some hover pads on, but I thought they were fun nonetheless.

Who are you to say that any of those creations are poorly designed or easy
to build?

Grand prize winner, while it was an actual model, certainly had
unlimited pieces.

Yes, and I'm sure Bob spent lots of money on those pieces, too. You are free
to go to the store and buy Lego also.

Where does the 'freight' go?

Right here, in the cargo bay:

Is that really
something you would see a 'regular Joe' in?  Looks more like a large
freighter from a Star Wars movie.  Don't get me wrong it was cool, just
not a 'regular' civilian ship.  Maybe for a large colony.

Aren't Truck drivers of today civilians? Wouldn't you agree that a freighter
captain is just a Truck driver in space? That's how I see it.

To quote my rules:

"- Commercial Vehicles

This category pertains to vehicles which would be used for making money,
like Air Taxis, Moving trucks, delivery vehicles, freighters, shuttlecraft,
spaceliners, construction, etc."

How many entries looked like they could belong to or be used by your
'regular Joe'?  Some where way beyond that.

Some were, but I didn't limit the contest to merely Personal vehicles.

Again, these are just my stream of consciousness observations and not
'sour grapes'.

Yeah sure.

I'm just glad I was able to submit an entry and don't
care about winning.

Uh-huh. Right. Then why send me this email?

I just thought the winners would be closer to the
stated 'desires' of what the contest was supposed to be about.  Maybe
that was just a loose guide and aesthetics and gut reaction took over,
which is fine.

Did you read this message and realize how positively whiney it sounds?

I think the contest turned out just fine. You got a problem with that, you
hold your own contest and give yourself the prize, so you aren't too
disappointed.

Anyway don't get mad at me, nothing personal.  Vent mode off...

If you're not mad, or whatever, then why do you need to vent?

Thanks again for taking the time to hold a unique contest.

It was my pleasure.

~Mark