 Space / 3174
Re: Thanks for dialing Ask-a-Judge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 18:33:37 GMT

Mark Sandlin wrote:

Hi everyone. I've decided to post this email, with the owner's name excluded
for their own privacy. I thought it would be good to post, because perhaps
some of you have similar opinions... perhaps not. • <snip>

~Mark

I think everyone following this thread read the original message, so I
won't repeat it here.  I had comments about a few of the points in the
email:

Regarding "Average Joes" and "Civilian" vehicles:

I think this is perhaps just a misunderstanding of the word "Civilian".
From a military standpoint, any non-military vehicle is "Civilian",
including those owned by private citizens, and those owned by
corporations.  And the employees of corporations are the "Average
Joes".  To build such vehicles was the object of Mark's contest;  I
thought it was clear from the rules.  It became much clearer when the
first half dozen "commercial" entries showed up, and you can always just
ask Mark... I know I did, about the categorization of my models.

Regarding virtual vs. "real" models:

The points raised by the emailer are valid ones - I know that when I
explained the contest to non-Lego folks, I got a lot of surprised
reactions about virtual and "real" models competing side by side.

But Mark's rationale is quite good:  Although LDraw design and sticking
bricks together are different skills, the aesthetic sense and modelling
ability is not.  I thought about building a tug in MLCad, but I'm *just
not that good*.  I salute those who know how to make CAD models, just as
I salute those who have the skills and resources to build great physical
models.

Perhaps having the two side by side may seem a bit odd, but *these were
the rules of the contest* - we knew them going in, and I don't care a
whit whether I was beaten by CAD or plastic!

And as for sour grapes:

Heck, I know that I was a bit disappointed when I saw I wasn't a
winner.  But y'know?  I got over it within 30 seconds (especially when I
saw Bob's model win).  The key is to shrug off the disappointment, and
be a good sport about it!  Competition is not for everyone - if you
*really* can't deal with competition, perhaps you should stick to
posting your MOCs in lugnet.space for everyone to admire - there's no
honour lost there.

Regards,
Jeff Elliott