 Space / 31609
Re: XB-202a stealth revision (I fixed the deep links)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 06:13:31 GMT

Paul,

Thanks for your comments. I've been a lurking fan of your work for some time. In
my opinion, the Empyrean Flame is among the best Lego spaceships ever.

I would be honered if you chose to use a similar wing design. I'm going to post
an additional folder with close-ups and dissected wing shots to show the
building techniques.

Well, you busted me about the landing gear. I was hoping no one would notice, or
that it could just remain a mystery. I really don't have a plausible explanation
for how this thing takes off and lands. When I started this project (way back in
1999), my original design had rotating thrusters on the tips of the main wings
and canards for VTOL (all of which would rotate simultaneously via some kind of
technic magic). This idea proved too difficult and just didn't look right, so I
abandoned it. Through the many iterations of this model I tried various VTOL
configurations, including Harrier style rotating thrusters along the fuselage
between the intakes and engines, but these would interact poorly with the
landing gear. So I gave up on VTOL, yet I am unwilling to accept wheels. Let's
just say this ship has the same VTOL properties as an X-wing, however that
works.

- Jon Walker