 Space / 3146
Re: My Design-A-Civvie MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 05:27:04 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
   Oh man, Jeff that Tug is really cool. • <snip>
I can almost hear the rumble of the engines and see
this big wall of dark rock next to the ship. I want to make a hard- sci fi
ship so bad now.

That exact image is what inspired me to make the ship in the first place.
Originally, I was thinking of making an LDraw model, but two things stopped me:
1) I'm really not all that hot with LDraw; I'm better at the real brick, and
2) There are about 1800 pieces in the tug, and the editors get real slow with
high piece counts.

These things notwithstanding, I *did* make a few prototype asteroids...

(The big round things)  These models were creates using some custom Java
software.  I've since refined my software to generate interesting surface
geometry (bumps), and, yes, I realize that real asteroids are nearly as black
as pitch, but the browns and greys show up much better.

Incidentally, my program makes hollow asteroids (to cut down on render
complexity), and substitutes 2x2s, 2x2 corner bricks, 2x1s and 1x1s where it
can (same reason).  Still, I've found that POVRay tends to balk at around
28,000 pieces, for some reason.  Runs my computer out of memory, so it claims.
:) Oh - and you *can* make composite structures so that the asteroids don't
have to just be spheres...

Anyway, I'm tempted to make a (real) big black asteroid surface just to pose
the tug against.  And I need to explain to my wife that we have to buy black
sheets 'cuz the inky black void of interstellar space doesn't have pinstripes
like the ones in the current tug pictures :P

I also want a pint really bad now. : )

You & me both, friend :)  Cheers!

Take care,
Jeff Elliott