 Space / 3064
Re: Lamenting over Builders' (Lego?) Block
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 15:03:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney writes:
Hey everyone...
Seeing all the totally awesome creations recently makes me want to do my own
again.  I haven't cranked something out in a LONG time.  I've been building
a little here and there, but I haven't had the time (or have been too lazy
to) snap a few digital pics or spend a few hours LDrawing it.

Anyways, I got some inspiration last night, so I dumped out the buckets.
Decided to try my hand at something non-studs up - which worked well, but
wasn't what I was going for.  Still, after running out of ideas with a half
finished MOC in my hand, I gave up with a strong discouragement about the
Builders' Block at hand (I've heard it put Lego Block too :).  It just seems
that I can't design something that's quite as cool as the stuff going up
recently.

I can sympathize with the builders block. I feel like I'm just starting to get
over mine. Unfortunately, I haven't had the free time to actually do anything
with my bricks. It's been a long rough time. I would say that my block lasted
almost 6 months.

So.... I was wondering, does anyone have any techniques, suggestions, things
they do to beat Builders' Block??  Or, even techniques to make a
small-medium sized cruiser structurally sound??

Take all of your organized blocks and dump them into a big pile on the floor.
It doesn't help you build, but it's fun to roll around in. :-)

What I'm hoping to do is have a couple good building sessions before I leave
home (and most of my Lego) for school.  That way I can have something to put
up for a probable Zacktron update when things settle down.  My thoughts are
that I would need to build more support vessels - medium sized, to perform
different specific tasks.  Zacktron has enough fighters (lots not published)
and not enough bricks for a decent capital ship.

BTW - I've been looking into using up some of my storehouse of trans orange
corridor walls - so hopefully the Idea Granter will be merciful.

I usually start with a base of 6 x 8, or 6 x 10 plates set upon 2 x 2 x 45
degree slopes. I stiffen that up with 1 x 16 beams and then enclose that with
more plates. That takes care of the bottom of the ship.

The top is a little harder. I usually just run some 1 x n plates across the
corridore pieces to hold them together and have a flip top roof for access.

--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114
AIM: TimCourtne