 Space / 3077
Re: Lamenting over Builders' (Lego?) Block
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 18:33:04 GMT

Often what I like to do is just start off by copying the basic shape of a
spaceship I see in a movie or online... and then I change the elements I
don't like or add things I think it should have. Sometimes I cobble together
bits of spaceships to make something I like.

Usually the best way to make something structurally sound is to make it a
box on the inside and then diversify the outside enough that it doesn't look
box-y. Most of the things I've built are just boxes with extra bits stuck on
them to break up the shape.

I suppose I don't really ever get "builders block." If I don't like the
direction a creation of mine is going, I just tear it down and rebuild.

Don't get discouraged by other people's creations... learn from them and
take inspiration. For example, today I was just looking at Bob Hayes' new
freighters on Brickshelf, and I decided that I'm going to have to sit down
and really try to build a big freighter like one of his. It's a challenge to
myself to try to live up to the excellence that surrounds me. Don't let
others' excellence make you think less of your own stuff. Instead, just
build something, and if you don't like it, post it anyway, and see what
kinds of suggestions you can get from people on lugnet. We're here to help.
:^)

Happy building,

~Mark
--