 Space / 29485
Re: How to stretch a brick supply?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 06:44:36 GMT

In lugnet.space, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
   Hey all

I’m almost done with my latest MOC, but I’m having trouble because of a relatively small grey piece supply.

First, this is a space destroyer, maybe not a “cap ship” by some standards, but ~92 studs long. The shape is kinda boxy, and I’m trying to think of viable ways to break up the boxy look somewhat. I’d appreciate a few tips on greebling with as few pieces as possible, or with colors that look good in a yellow-grey scheme.

The second problem is a little more pressing--I’m not sure I have enough bricks to finish the bridge. Does anybody have any brick-saving techniques that might work? If you’d like, I can provide sneak-peek pics, just ask.

Thanks for any and all replies!

Andrew

building at a slightly smaller scale saves bricks; especially for a “cap”ship

:))

seriously, could the bridge be only a 1/2 deck higher than the next deck down? in Star Trek Voyager the captains ready room & the conference rooms were a 1/2 flight of stairs down from the bridge. this could be applied to the whole bridge, so that the room on deck 3 (NOT deck 2-that would only be 1/2 ht. also) immedeately below the bridge is 1 1/2 height (could be a shuttle-bay etc.) My brother & i were thinking of doing an entire lego Star Trek ship with 1/2 deck offsets so we could get level defenition, without the “steps” being to high/goofy looking:

also, in the crew areas of my (hope to build someday) ship, I was thinking of complete crew quarters, and i realized i could probably just have bed/bunk ‘cubbys’ like on Starwars (millenium Falcon, behind djarik board/’couch’) AND in “2010: the Year We Make Contact.” There’s ascene where they’re using jupiter’s atmosphere to slow the ship down, and a young russian female crew member is afraid and comes to snuggle with Roy Sheider-the bunks were shown to be sealable & built ‘into the wall on the corridor. the bathroom would be separate obviously, unless you pretend that the Lego Minifigs are a separate species than human and don’t need bathrooms. (that’s how i’ve thought of my Lego people: as a separate species that eats very little, absorb light energy through their plasto-organic exo-shell and produce no waste besides sweat, so they just have a shower/sink room-that’s why there wer restaurants but no toilets in classic legoland) hope this helps.

Jeff