 Space / 29428
Re: How to stretch a brick supply?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 22:57:10 GMT

In lugnet.space, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
Hey all

I'm almost done with my latest MOC, but I'm having trouble because of a
relatively small grey piece supply.

First, this is a space destroyer, maybe not a "cap ship" by some standards, but
~92 studs long.  The shape is kinda boxy, and I'm trying to think of viable ways
to break up the boxy look somewhat.  I'd appreciate a few tips on greebling with
as few pieces as possible, or with colors that look good in a yellow-grey
scheme.

The second problem is a little more pressing--I'm not sure I have enough bricks
to finish the bridge.  Does anybody have any brick-saving techniques that might
work?  If you'd like, I can provide sneak-peek pics, just ask.

Thanks for any and all replies!

Andrew
Well, I may be able to help you, but I'd have to have more information to help
you in any meaningful way. The sneak-peek pictures would definitely help, as
well as a more detailed description of what you're trying to achieve. Any
examples of your work previously built would also help.

One thing I've learnt is that using fins as a part of the superstructure can
greatly reduce the boxiness of a vessel. If you've a hinge, some plates, and
bricks, they're easy to construct. Changing the level of the horizontal plane of
parts of the ship also helps, and can easily be done with just plates and
bricks.
Just as a general tip, dump all of your pieces on the floor or some other
surface. Grab ANYTHING that you think might be of use. I've been amazed at what
one can build just by playing around and putting together random parts. I would
suggest assembling greebly structures exclusive of your vessel, and just playing
around with different looking things. You may get an excellent idea.