 Space / 28140
Re: Kicking the Brick with: Paul Hartzog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:34:20 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Philip Painter wrote:
   Hello again .space fans,

I’ve posted my interview with Paul Hartzog to CerebrumInc.com.

Very cool, Phil and Paul!

When reading through the interivew, I noticed Phil’s question number 9:

   9. What’s most tragic about LEGO?

The second part of this question and Paul’s answer stood out as rather poignant to me (quoted below). My apologies for the heavy snippage in the quotes, but I wanted to get to the point :-)

   CerebrumInc: What kind of standards can TLC establish? What about the community? Do you think this necessarily has to start with TLC?

[snip]

   But really, it isn’t TLC’s responsibility to integrate the fan community. That’s our responsibility. And if we play well, then I believe that TLC will respond. If we want a coordinated and sharing response from TLC, then we as the community need to demonstrate that we are coordinating and sharing.

This is the crux of the issue, in my mind. What Paul said here hits the nail on the head with the fan community. Various factions have a tradition of not ‘playing well’ together -- not sharing where there’s mutual benefit, acting territorial, etc. In all honesty, this actually hinders the growth of the community, and also discourages people from becoming more involved when they learn how fragmented and political it is under the surface.

I think it would be wonderful to see a community project change all of that. Sure, new initiatives are always fueled by a few dedicated people - but if those in leadership positions change their attitude from “my site, my sandbox,” to “my site, but our community,” we can start to get somewhere.

Paul, I know you and I have talked about these ideas at length. I think you have a lot of valuable things to say to the community as a whole, and to webmasters willing to listen. I’ve also talked to a few others among you about these ideas, and know you have similar thoughts.

To Paul and to anyone interested in answering:
What would be your approach for putting into action a plan to see better sharing of information and resources amongst fan sites?

This kind of thing is beyond the scope of my knowledge and experience to implement. But, as someone who cares about the future of the LEGO community, I’d like to see this come to pass. I’d love to hear others ideas on this subject as well :-)

Tim,

Can you give an example of the type of information and resouces you’re talking about? I’m a bit confused on what issues between sites and groups you’re refering to.

I’ve actually seen a great deal of sharing between the major reference sites here, for example LUGNET, Peeron and say Bricklink all link together amazingly well.

So I guess I’m missing where the problem is occurring, maybe I’m just not tuned into it.

jt