 Space / 27735
Re: Moonbase Roads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 04:51:18 GMT

In lugnet.space, Dave Johann wrote:
   I’m all for this, but have no suggestions for the group.

Please keep in mind that this would be next to impossible to implement for those of us using raised baseplates in the layout and for those that make use of the actual baseplate for their module. In essence, it would force modules to sit on pillars in order for a road to pass through. Also, is there a realistic way to built this without it looking like a giant grid? (I’m sure there is, I’m just throwing that out there for people to think about.)

I’m with you though, Jon...if done right, this could be a beautiful addition to the project.

-Dave

In real life, when undeveloped land is rezoned, the roads are planned first, and then the land is divided into lots. Then the land is sold and stuff is built.

In real life, when buildings already exist in a location, the road is either moved, or the building is (re)moved.

In real life, most roads do not pass through or under buildings.

My point is that a Moonbase road standard doesn’t mean you have to tear down or modify your module to accomodate it. The modules are supposed to attach to other modules, not roads. If a road standard is created, what’s likely to happen is that most people will build baseplates that have nothing on them except a road. No module, just a road. That’s not as interesting as a cool module, but it’s far more functional.

You can think of a large number of connected modules as a single large building. So, just put the road “modules” next to your large moonbase, and everyone’s happy. It’s conceivable that on the moon, roads would be used to connect distant moonbases and keep people from getting lost; roads would not be needed to get to individual modules that aren’t spaced far apart.

And if you really want to have a road pass through a module, that’s fine. If you want to make a skybridge module above a road, that too is fine. It just requires a little planning before you build it. If you use raised baseplates in your layout, you can always build bridges and ramps. Like I said, it just takes planning.

As for the roads looking like a grid, I don’t think this proposed standard would end up looking like Town System layout. Those roads form grids; it can’t be avoided. Like I said above, the Moonbase roads would only be useful to cover long distances, so they’d usually be just straight lines connecting two individual large moonbases, each of which consists of a large number of modules.

If you really want to avoid the grid thing, just limit the number of intersections you create in your layouts.

So that’s the way I see it. Thanks for reading.