 Space / 26414
Re: The U. S. S. Roderik has been launched!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:47:30 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Nathan Wells wrote:
   Greetings, .spacers.

Pictures of the new U.S.S. Roderik are at MOCpages!

PLMKWYT!

Hey GA, thanks for the honest and very helpful reply! These tips will really help my ship building from now on!

   Hi Nathan.

I think this ship is a good start, but it sort of looks to me like it’s not finished. The interior is nicely detailed, which is good, but the exterior needs work.

Believe it or not, I actually got bored with this project when I was done with the inside. I had drawn out the interior with detail, but hadn’t given the outside a thought. Also, when I reached the exterior, I was running low on pieces I needed.

   I don’t understand the hatch in the front with the bridge. It doesn’t make sense to me. Why would the main entry for the ship be on the bridge? I would move it to the section where you have the “tables.” Then you’d have more room on the bridge, and could even perhaps give the captain a chair in the middle, or have another control station.

Perhaps I was wrong to label the front of the ship the bridge. A Bridge indicates it is the head of a ship that is so big it needs a captain. The Roderik, OTOH, is basically a stretched out Shuttle craft with two pilots of equal rank making the decisions together, unlike a captain (or admiral, for that matter) dictating his/her commands to a crew. Therefore, the hatch is in the front of the ship where the captain’s chair would be on a larger ship because the ship isn’t big enough to need a captain. Admiral Wells was just visiting the Roderik as a VIP guest, not as a commanding officer.

   For a scientific vessel, this ship needs a LOT of antennas, sensors, and stuff on it... at least on the top where you have the dishes and such. Some elements protruding from the ship will distract from the overall boxy shape.

As I said before, I was running low on pieces by the time I got to the exterior detailing. I do agree it needs more sensors and stuff.

   You’ve done some nice SNOT work here, however.

Thanks! Now I just have to master making landing gear!

   The engines look weak. I suggest recessing that center plate and putting a couple of wheels or cylindrical elements in there to suggest large engine openings. The dishes you currently have don’t suggest power or engines at all, IMO.

My collection of possible thrusters is embarrassingly low, all my wheel hubs are either to small or the wrong color (that will all change when I buy some discount LOM sets).

   The landing legs look really wimpy on a ship of this size. I suggest doubling them up so they’re at least 2-wide... and put some nice big feet on them.

I despise that landing gear!!!

   I really do think this is a good start for a ship, but it sort of looks like you built a good interior but left the exterior lacking. The good news is, you can easily do some work on the outside and get it looking good without a lot more work or a ton of re-building.

Thanks again for the help!