 Space / 25767
Re: New MOC: Arcalaxis Figher/Scout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 13:43:49 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw wrote:
   In lugnet.announce.moc, Adrian Drake wrote:
   Hey yo, how about some new spacey action?

http://www.brickfrenzy.com/space_arcalaxis.html

Mmmm...angle-licious. I’ve got a boatload of those manta sets kicking around too for that project that never seems to start. :(

Maybe this’ll be inspiration then :)

It’s amazing that you’ve thrown in FIVE non X/Y axis angles in this baby, all to a great effect. Can I ask how you accomplished this feat? Clicks? Magnets? Tension sockets? Small trained hamsters? Voodoo magic?

Inquiring builders want to know.

Duck tape and prayer.

Seriously, though, the 3 fins, made from all the quarter domes, are held in their triangular shape with 1x5 plate finger hinges. Hanging from the dorsal fin are a few bricks and the main 4x12 plate that’s basically the keel to the ship. Upon that are 4x5 plate finger hinges that stick out between the dorsal and side fins. from there the dark blue angled pieces are attached. On top of (or underneath) the main dark blue angled blocks are lots more finger hinges to get the slope for the front dark blue assemblies and the angle to the exhaust fins. Underneath the dark blue assemblies are also attached with 1x5 hinge plates to get the stud to stud direction change. The only direction change that isn’t accomplished by finger hinges are the landing gear, which have a little bit of click hinge action for stability.

It’s quite obvious to me that this description is not useful. If I remember tonight I’ll take a detail shot or two before I go off to visit my parents for the weekend. Otherwise, you’ll just have to come to brickfest and i can demo it there.

Adrian

http://www.brickfrenzy.com