 Space / 22591
Re: 6974 Delta-4 Space Center
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 19:56:13 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Dave Lovelace writes:
I haven't built anything in a while, nor have I ever made a gallery at
brickshelf.  But I had a dream about this thing last night, and had to take
the day to build it and upload it:

Features:  sliding twin-rocket pad, suspended launch pad, LL-914 craft, car,
radar towers, the works.  Also, a surprise "wow-man" functionality that I'll
leave for the pictures!

I would die a happy man if something I designed (something like this!) could
be produced as a "My Own Creation" set to complement whatever Classic Space
Legend eventually comes out.  The 497/928 Galaxy Explorer is my number one
choice for re-release, and probably high up on most others' wish lists, too.
I built this Space Center to complement it, if that actually happened...

Absolutely no post-1980 parts were used, with possible exception to the blue
wing pieces in the launch pad.  But the molds existed, at any rate.

I realize there are a lot of factors preventing bona-fide Classic Space
parts being molded again.  So, I hand-built craters out of grey slopes and
macaronis, sidestepping the crater-plate re-molding issue.  I also made the
launch pad suspended, so Lego wouldn't have to worry about the Landing
Plate, either (besides, the clear-yellow platform was part of the dream!).
But I'm still hoping they can re-mold the classic helmet!  And maybe provide
a new "LL-914" imprinted 1x4 for the ship?

Let me know what you think, and please spotlight me so many others can see
it, too!  Thanks for looking.

    Overall design - very cool
    Continuity - nice!  matches Classic Space well
    Innovations - great!  I love the landing pad, so I'll be stealing it
                  I also like the rocket platform made of 4x8 wings
                  Ditto the hinged wall/walkway/platform
                  Blue wings?  No problem, even if they're anachronistic,
                  the look good

    A great model! Thanks for sharing.

     Dave!