 Space / 22419
Re: .Spacers...to the Time Warp!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:35:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:

So, may I present.....The .Space Time Warp!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~gtoradoch/Timewarp/Timewarp_main.htm

Ooh, I absolutely love this idea.  I am not certain about the color scheme
you chose for the website though.  It seems very Paradisa...  ;)

I certainly never took photos of my models in my youth.  I think I didn't
take photos of MOCs until about 1990, so there's 12 years of building before
that was not documented.  For Space, I recall four distinct models from that
prehistoric era...

1. Outpost A12.  The workplace of one of my signature characters, and the
place of the opening scene in the first saga of Valyance, Outpost A12
represented any of a number of smaller research facilities on the gray
desert of Valyance's first moon.  (Presumably, there were many Outposts, a
few larger bases like oversized Beta-1's, and three civilian colonies, but
in my youth I only had pieces for an Outpost.)  This model included a
mission control facility in blue (with yellow windows and inverted angled
windows as entrances), several landing pads, refueling stations, and a solar
power core (which could be charged by wandering SPTs).  At the time, most of
the visiting spacecraft were TLC models like the Stardefender and the
FX-Star Patroller.

2. Outpost B08.  (I think that was the number.)  Like A12, this was a small
Outpost.  In real-life, I built this one first.  Part of the pre-story of
Valyance, it was used as a target by the Darknians during a test-run of the
technologies used by the Battrax, Invader, and Renegade.  The model included
a three-story control tower that flowered open at the top and an assortment
of landing facilities similar to the A12.  It was a lot of fun enacting the
destruction of this old Outpost with (what was then) new BT1 sets!

3. Unnamed Billundian Exploratory Class 3 Craft.  I never named it this FSPC
vehicle, but very early on in my space building I put together a Classic
Space style ship that was basically a series of independent modules (each
basically a box with a few computers) that were interconnected by short
catwalks (plates) that were exposed to space.  The different modules
included cockpit, communications lab, bio-research station, solar data
collector, and crew quarters.  None of these modules were any larger than
the old TLC Mobile Lab, and the doors used a similar construction style.
One reason this model is remembered is because I kept walking over to my
Town display and "borrowing" special elements like railings and lights in
order to complete its construction.  I don't think the Town ever got all its
pieces back.

4. Unnamed Billundian Cruiser Class 3 Craft.  I never named this FSPC
vehicle either, but I recall designing a ship using elements similar to
early Classic Space spaceships, but wider than long and with lots of slopes
on the underside.  I think this one was destroyed with the aforementioned
Outpost B08.  The truth is, and this is relevent to the current subject, my
vague memory of this model was a big inspiration for the basic shape of one
of my most recent MOCs, the FSPC Garnet...as seen here:
http://www.valyance.com/starship/myships/GT_Fly_Up.jpg
(Other pics at:  http://www.valyance.com/starship/myships/garnet.htm)

So, I guess what I need to do next for this idea is to actually try to
recreate some of these things.  It will take some doing, given my current
schedule and time available to build.  But I hope this project takes off and
I will try to contribute to it at some point.

Cheers,
-Hendo