 Space / 21801
Re: FlyBot, MothBot, and Ma-in-LawBot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:40:33 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer writes:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Tony Hafner writes:
http://www.hafhead.com/lego/myspace/robots

Hey, I love those!  The flybot just has a great 'spindly' look about it.  I
love the personality it has... the head and the position off the legs makes
it very easy too like.  The Ma-in-Lawbot is great, too.  Very funny.  And
the moth is just plain weird... but a good use of the flybot chassis.

I love these!  Hope you make more.  How do you start designing your bots,
Tony?  Do you just start tinkering, or do you write down some inspiration?

The design process for each of these robots was different- and I rarely use
pencil/paper except for really large MOCs.

The FlyBot came from fairly random tinkering with limited parts available.
He actually started out looking like another robot that I saw here recently
(it was "spotted" on brickshelf, and had chainsaw blades for legs).  But
successive incremental changes eventually replaced every original part
except for the single-stud 1x2 plates for feet.

The MothBot was supposed to be a color adaptation and minor refit of the
FlyBot, but my wife kept picking nits until it turned into this design.  For
the record, she still doesn't like a couple details...

I'll probably regress the MothBot back to one of the earlier versions and
post that as well.  Grenade launchers GOOD!

The Ma-in-LawBot was fairly intentional- she came out as part of a character
study for a series of illustrated stories I'm working on.  Oh yeah- and she
was heavily influenced by the desire to use a very rare part.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words!

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com