 Space / 21287
21286  |  21288
Subject:
Feedback thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:00:59 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
Quoting you: "Don't sweat the criticisms... because in the end, they're not
really important."

Don't worry about them, don't sweat them...but don't discredit them.  It's
taken .space a while to get over the "That rocks!" post syndrome, and even
though this thread has been rocky at times, I don't think we need to go back
now.

(I have changed the subject line because my post has nothing to do with Dan)

I'd hate to see a feedback regression now.  Besides, if someone doesn't care
what anyone thinks about their work, why the heck are they even bothering to
post pictures?  Seriously... there are tons of people out there who play
with Lego and don't post their pics here on Lugnet or Brickshelf or R.T.L.
(woah, remember that?)  If all they are interested in is how *they* feel
about their own work, and don't think anyone else matters... why post in a
public forum?

The answer of course, is that everyone enjoys postitive attention... but not
everyone wants to hear honest critical feedback.  When you put long hours of
work into a ship, its hard to accept someone saying part of it looks
"wrong".  I know, I've been there... but no one exists in a vacuum and we
need to accept it.  And it certainly doesn't mean all critical feedback is
right either.

Yeah, its fashionable to say, "Just do whatever, there's no rules."  But as
an art, there ARE rules that govern the concept of a visually stimulating or
esthetic work.  There's a reason rainbow warriors aren't considered "cool".
There's a reason trees and plants don't make up the hull of most .space
creations.  We exist in a society with a rather defined idea of what
"futuristic" things are supposed to "feel" like.  Without Star Wars, Cowboy
Bebop, Friz Lang's Metropolis, Star Trek, Aliens, The Thunderbirds, The
Transformers, Macross, Battlestar Galactica, Star Blazers, Battletech, Flash
Gordon, The Last Starfighter, The Matrix, etc... what would our MOCs look
like?  If you don't see significant relationships in the futuristic visions
all these cultural influences, then you should think about it.  I don't know
if its the best possible way to be, but its true nonetheless.

I think its an unfortunate attitude to say that opinions are only important
if they are positive (which is the implication of what Matt Krotzer is
saying here).

This all comes down to an opinion I have held for a long time about what
real friendship is.  A lot of people seem to think that a friend is someone
that will stick with them and agree with them no matter what.  That's not a
friend, that's obsequious and immature.  I'd rather have a friend with the
guts to tell me when I am wrong as well as when I am right.  Who needs
someone who says, "I knew you were screwing up" after the fact?

Obviously this is just a fun creative hobby, and no one *really* screws up
here, but the analogy works.

The builder should ALWAYS rely on their own instincts.  But that doesn't
mean they are always right.  As hard as it is to accept, sometimes something
just doesn't work they way they want it to.  Does that mean they didn't try
hard? Does that mean their work was wasted?  NO, I personaly believe that we
learn more from our mistakes than from our successes.  But if we think
everything we do is always just perfect the way it is, then we are doomed to
a life of repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

None of this is meant with hostility towards anyone... I just think it needs
to be discussed.

respectfully,
Jk