 Space / 21321
Re: Feedback thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 00:24:17 GMT

In lugnet.space, Joel Kuester writes:

I think its an unfortunate attitude to say that opinions are only important
if they are positive (which is the implication of what Matt Krotzer is
saying here).

Note to self: Don't post late at night on no sleep.

Note to everyone else:
   That wasn't what I meant to imply at all, nor did I intend for a whole
conversation about the merits of constructive criticism to spring up in
response to my measly post. I just wanted Dan to know that I thought his
ship was really good, despite similarities to some of his previous work,
which I thought he was being unduly over-criticized about.
   I had been reading the whole string, and as I went further and further,
it became more of a "Hey, glad to see you posted again, here's what you need
to fix," session than commending the good stuff he did. I'm in the art field
myself, so I know how it goes, but also know that its easy to become
discouraged if you're bombarded with ONLY suggestions for improvement. I'm
just trying to suggest that we find a balance.
   Perhaps reread a response before sending it (and maybe review the
person's creation) and if you can't find something significant to say that's
good about it in addition to the criticism, perhaps rethink sending it.
   After all, as Jon and Joel have pointed out, we do come here for a sense
of community in the hobby we all love, and to share our creations with each
other. I'm just trying to make sure that people don't get discouraged and
decide to stop sharing.