 Space / 21117
Re: Pre Classic Space spews forth another....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 00:32:53 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jamie Neufeld writes:
Now thats some Pre Classic-Space goodness. Really good job there Chris. I
like the engines the best. Keep it up.
A question though. Is there a set guide line on whats required to build
something in the Pre Classic-space sub theme? Like Chris Maddison had the
basic set up for hoverbikes, is there a basic set of rules to be followed
for this? Just curious.

Jamie
www.ozbricks.com/jneufeld

Hmm.  What makes a Pre Classic Space Model?   Well, First the dinosaurs
came, but they got too big and fat and turned into oil, and then the ...
err. I digress.

First: Stare longingly at classic space models you either don’t have anymore
or threw a hissy fit for at the toy stores when you were a child.  If you
were not alive during the 70's and 80's (I’m sorry), then weep for what
you’ve missed and then study the archives on Lugnet.

Then: Make this assumption.  Since the CS models have open canopies, are
rarely airtight and are designed with simplified shapes, they must have
improved tech. (silly wabbit)  Minifigs must be able to live in outer space
in their suits.  Therefore the suits are incredibly efficient and the ships
must get places incredibly fast. (By Ice Planet big ships don’t need engines
at all ;-) )  Older systems must be less efficient, contain more life
support items and living space inside canopies, and the engines must be
bigger to get the same type speed of a future ship.  This is the method of
devolving.

Then then: Use your knowledge of CS and the ideas of devolving and decide
what CS ship and purpose you want to pre make.  Look at the model’s
instructions and pick what each doo-dad (prespace term for greeble) does and
look at specific pieces or characteristics of the construction and make it
larger and chunkier.

AND if you’re still with me after reading the above pookie... take some
trans clear pieces (they’re not just for town anymore) and some bland colors
(look at Nasa.. No paint is lighter) pick a Classic space idea and rework it.

1 Use trans clear or curvy smoke glass (yes I’m gonna use some too later)
2 Keep a basic color scheme based in one color (white or grey as a base)
3 Think, what would a 2001/space 1999/NASA drawing board fantasy version of
this CS vehicle look like?
4 Curve out angles and angle edges of boxes.
5 Use spindly landing gear.  Techy pipes and such.
6 Try to avoid using CS specific pieces (except for thrusters, logos and
vent print stuff). Use somethin' to resemble it.  Remember you’re devolving
it.  (If you use a classic computer, just tell yourself it's just been upgraded)
7 As the 50's cars are to the 70's cars... so goes the Pre Space to Classic
Space.

Ok, ending ramble.
Dunno if that helped define it or make the waters muddier.

Chris <><
PS. All PCS ships are powered by the Z-80A processor curiously found to have
extraordinary power after adding spamcake.