 Space / 20864
    Columbia —Pedro Silva
   I just heard on the news... NASA seems to have lost contact with Columbia Space Shuttle. The footage shown points out to a faulty re-entry, but have no more info at the moment - can someone check further on what is happening? Pedro (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general) !

        Re: Columbia —Thomas Avery
     (...) They don't know a whole lot right now. All they've said is they lost contact with the shuttle when it was re-entering the earth's atmosphere at an altitiude of 200,000 feet, travelling about mach 6, was over central Texas, and time was about (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

         Re: Columbia —Thomas Avery
      I should also add that there were 7 astronauts on board. One was the first Israeli astronaut. NASA said the computers on board the shuttle stopped communicating with mission control. -a very bad sign. The news is saying that terrorism is not likely. (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

         Re: Columbia —Thomas Avery
     (...) Their speed was actually 12,500 miles per hour, not mach 6. The news is now reporting that fallen debris have been reported in east Texas. Residents are finding stuff on their properies and reporting it. The news also reports that a "senior (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

         Re: Columbia —Tony Knaak
     They have been reporting of a search and rescue team in Texas to look for survivors because all the astronaunts had parachutes to escape. But traveling at 12,500 mph and at 200,000 feet, it's a 1 in a million chance for any survivors. Truely (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

        Re: Columbia —Tony Alexander
      As of 9:08 AM CT, CNN is showing multiple videos and pictures of several, not one, flying streaks. There is footage of the shuttle streaking past, then growing briefly brighter, after which there are several distinct streaks flying through the air (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

        Re: Columbia —Tony Alexander
      The caption on the CNN ticker now says "Official at Johnson Space Center: Shuttle is lost." Peace and Long Life, Tony Alexander (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

         Re: Columbia —Pedro Silva
      (...) :-( Pedro (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

         Re: Columbia —Kecia Hansen
     (...) This is truly sad news. God bless Kecia (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

        Re: Columbia —Tony Knaak
     It is haunting that the challenger discussion was just brought up in this group, now more disaster. I just witnessed the footage on television and I and humbled and saddened. My heart goes out to the families of the crew. May this remind us how the (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

         Re: Columbia —Jon Palmer
      "Tony Knaak" <tknaaker@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:H9n11z.Jxt@lugnet.com... (...) May (...) This is how I woke up today, with a phone call. I can't believe this happened. I know there are so many risks to begin with but it doesn't make it any (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

          Re: Columbia —Jon Palmer
      I put up another small tribute image on the sidebar. This isn't exactly something I looked forward to doing again. I haven't even deleted the picture of the Challenger crew from my site yet. Such a loss. [ j o n ] -- | Lego - (URL) Shipyard - (URL) (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

          Columbia and .space —Paul Hartzog
      Reflecting on this disaster, and sending good thoughts to the families... Material stresses going from hot to cold are much greater during winter. One would hope that NASA would consider a moratorium on winter launches. But there's another point to (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

          Re: Columbia and .space —John Spencer Rezkalla
       (...) ?Huh? What does winter have to do with it? The orbiter is designed to withstand on-orbit thermal cycling far greater than any it would experience on Earth. (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

           Re: Columbia and .space —Paul Hartzog
       ja but the only stresses on those already heated/cooled materials are torsional, i.e. NOT gravitic. During re-entry the gravitic stresses reassert themselves dramatically and if the thermal changes have weakened anything then the gravitic stresses (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

          Re: Columbia and .space —Nicole Drumm
      I couldn't have said it any better myself, Paul. -- Thanx~ Nicole Drumm MS (URL) Hartzog" <panarchy23@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:H9nEKG.AC3@lugnet.com... (...) (21 years ago, 2-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

         Re: Columbia —Tony Alexander
     (...) VERY haunting, and especially creepy for me. I've always known that an Apollo mission blew up on the launch pad on the day I was born, January 27, 1967. I always had an interest in space exploration, fueled by science fiction (especially Star (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

        Re: Columbia —John Henry Kruer
     This is BAD. Already two shuttles have now been destroyed 'in action.' I wonder what is going to happen next. I heard something about the Russion Soyuz spacecraft to be used to ferry stuff to the International Space Station. I wonder about the (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

         Re: Columbia —Stuart Immonen
     (...) Yes, this is a terrible tragedy, but NASA's track record has been remarkably good over the past 40-odd years considering what they do-- I mean, they are putting people-- human beings-- in ROCKETS and firing them into space. I have nothing but (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

        Re: Columbia —Steven Combs
     I would encourage everyone to post a symbol of unity and condolences to the family of STS-107 on their web sites. Let's show our LUGNET and LEGO community support. The STS-107 Patch can be found here: (URL) B. Combs, Publisher Bricks in my Pocket (...) (21 years ago, 1-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

         Re: Columbia —Gil Shaw
      This is a wonderful idea. It's done. That feeling of illness came upon me that I had first felt in the 8th grade on a school trip when Challenger happened. I had been in Florida for the very first shuttle launch, planning to see it in person. The (...) (21 years ago, 2-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

         Re: Columbia —Anne Carasik
     Hi Steven, Thanks. I've added it to my tribute to the Columbia and her crew. Thanks for providing the patch. (URL) really never thought I would live to see this happen a second time. :( Talk about sad, I couldn't really think of too much else today (...) (21 years ago, 3-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

        Re: Columbia —Jason Krish
     8^( I can remember vacationing in Florida about six years back and going to Cape Canaveral. I truly enjoyed the visit. The one thing that sticks in my mind most about that visit is the memorial. IIRC(please correct me if I am wrong), the person we (...) (21 years ago, 2-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

        Re: Columbia —Anne Carasik
   Bleh.. this sucks. I really never thought I'd live through another Space Shuttle disaster.. I was 12.. It was really difficult to hear this on a day trip to LEGOLand of all places... Made the trip pretty melancholy.. I picked up a LEGO astronaut (...) (21 years ago, 2-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)