 Space / 20885
20884  |  20886
Subject:
Columbia and .space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 21:05:04 GMT

Reflecting on this disaster,
and sending good thoughts to the
families...

Material stresses going from hot
to cold are much greater during winter.
One would hope that NASA would consider
a moratorium on winter launches.

But there's another point to consider as well:
As any behavior becomes more routine,
disasters happen.  Railroad disasters,
Ship disasters, etc. are all part of the history
and challenge of exploration.  As we continue
to explore .space, we will continue to have
incidents.  It is not that we should turn back,
but rather that we should endeavor onward in
the face of the difficulties, because ultimately
the creative drive, exploration, is vital to
our survival as a species and as individuals.

my thoughts on this day... :-)

peace,
-paul

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
I put up another small tribute image on the sidebar.  This isn't exactly
something I looked forward to doing again.  I haven't even deleted the
picture of the Challenger crew from my site yet.  Such a loss.

[ j o n ]