 Space / 20568
Re: Castle's Revenge !
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:19:38 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer writes:
Hey, those are pretty cool!  Glad to see that you finally got around to
posting some new MOCs.

Yeah, I've been promising to do so, and here they are.  :)
I wasn't certain how to announce all of those MOCs at once, and the SS site.
So I'm glad you dug through the links and found them.

I really like the Nikolai's Choice- it has a very weird look, but the mix of
flatness and things sticking out is really nice one.

Actually, I didn't care much for how that ship went from concept to final
build, because it is such a radical style.  But the longer it sits on my
shelf, the more it grows on me.  I like that the Formians (one of my
nations) have a different style than the others.

The Garnet has a
really cool Classic-Space aesthetic around it.  The removable cargo pods are
a nice touch, as well.

That is what I was aiming for.  The backstory is that this ship was lost in
space 60 years ago, so I figured a Classic style was appropriate.  The pods
go along with a sub-plot for my sectors, wherein my nations started around
that time to seek other planets to colonize and ships were being equiped
with terraforming pods.

And the First Promontory has a really nice SPII
style.  The detatchable vehicles make a nice touch.  Chief taxi?  :)

Haha, yes, the docking bay in the rear has room for the TLC set Galactic
Chief (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6813).  The detachable scouts are
modified versions of the cockpit from the Galactic Mediator
(http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6984), how appropriate considering my position.  :)
The Armageddon was originally built (in real life) when SPII was new, and
the GM was the first set I actually bought three copies of (one for the
original, plus two for the MOC).  I redesigned the bridge section last week
to make this represent the First Prom.

And the Wolfpack stuff is cool, too.  I really like how you built a hatch
into the side of the body.  Nice touch.  I can defenently see some of A.
Sava's ideas behind it.

When I first saw this set: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8226 when it was new,
I realized immediately that some day I would develop a futuristic Wolfpack
using that alternate crest.  But I was never certain what their futuristic
transport would be until I saw Mr. Sava's dragon models.  Bringing the
themes together was great fun.

As for the side hatches, now that was an interesting techical challenge that
I overcame by accident.  The doors are plates with tiles on them that slide
sideways into a small space that is hidden in the wall behind each leg.  The
tough part was that the axles for the hip joints pass through that same
wall, just above the slot for the door.  But surprisingly, everything fit
nicely.

Thanks for the comments!  :)
-Hendo