 Space / 2016
Re: MOC: Starship "Suffren" Fighter Module; Basic Page Now Up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:17:22 GMT

Wow, five, huh?

MMMmmmm reactor core....

I need to invest in more bricks before I can build anything bigger than
about 3 feet long. It's going to exhaust most of my blue, gray, and black
parts to finish this destroyer.

If only TL would release a parts bucket in Star Wars colors (i.e. Gray,
Dark Gray, Black, and bits of orange and red)

I finished the Wave Motion gun last night though!

~Mark

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Mark Sandlin wrote:

I LOVE your new "snub" fighters with their little docking module. That • is a
very elegant solution for a destoyer-size capital ship that doesn't have • the
luxury of a landing bay.

Hey, thanks!  I like the fighters too; they came out nicely.  Unfortunately • the
engines don't like to stay on as tightly as they should (grumble).  Ah • well,
they do *look* nice.

One technical concern: It appears that the whole module serves as an
airlock. What happens if a single fighter returns and the pilot needs to • get
out of his ship? How do medical personnel get to him if the bay is
sealed? Does everyone wear a pressure suit in that case? If so, do • you
plan to have small airlocks at the entrance to the bay? I don't know • how
many of those (whaddaya call 'em?) 4x5 hinge-plates you have, but a
single plate mounted on the inside of the bay at each pod entry would
solve this little dilemma. This would also allow maintenance crew • and
other folk to walk through the docking module while the fighters are • away.

Yeah, I've been aware of this since I built it (in fact, the original sketch • had
two "rising doors" from the landing bay's floor) but once it got underway • it
became technically impossible to implement without reconstructing the • bay
walls.  I wanted to get it done and get pictures up, but rest assured that • I'll
probably be installing said doors before I close the module.  (In lieu of • that,
yes, the airlock compartment would in fact be the docking ring between • modules.)

I'll post pics of my own ship when I'm finished... which should be in a
couple weeks. I have used the light-cable unit from the 6979 UFO set • in
my main reactor room.  :^)

I've got five of those modules, and have been considering mounting • them around
the reactor core.  It might make the ship's engineering section look like • a
discotheque, however.

best

Lindsay