 Space / 2002
Re: MOC: Starship "Suffren" Fighter Module; Basic Page Now Up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:08:26 GMT

Mark Sandlin wrote:

I LOVE your new "snub" fighters with their little docking module. That is a
very elegant solution for a destoyer-size capital ship that doesn't have the
luxury of a landing bay.

Hey, thanks!  I like the fighters too; they came out nicely.  Unfortunately the
engines don't like to stay on as tightly as they should (grumble).  Ah well,
they do *look* nice.

One technical concern: It appears that the whole module serves as an
airlock. What happens if a single fighter returns and the pilot needs to get
out of his ship? How do medical personnel get to him if the bay is
sealed? Does everyone wear a pressure suit in that case? If so, do you
plan to have small airlocks at the entrance to the bay? I don't know how
many of those (whaddaya call 'em?) 4x5 hinge-plates you have, but a
single plate mounted on the inside of the bay at each pod entry would
solve this little dilemma. This would also allow maintenance crew and
other folk to walk through the docking module while the fighters are away.

Yeah, I've been aware of this since I built it (in fact, the original sketch had
two "rising doors" from the landing bay's floor) but once it got underway it
became technically impossible to implement without reconstructing the bay
walls.  I wanted to get it done and get pictures up, but rest assured that I'll
probably be installing said doors before I close the module.  (In lieu of that,
yes, the airlock compartment would in fact be the docking ring between modules.)

I'll post pics of my own ship when I'm finished... which should be in a
couple weeks. I have used the light-cable unit from the 6979 UFO set in
my main reactor room.  :^)

I've got five of those modules, and have been considering mounting them around
the reactor core.  It might make the ship's engineering section look like a
discotheque, however.

best

Lindsay