 Space / 17690
Re: Easy starfield, planet and star recipe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:58:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Daniel Jassim writes:
Here's a relatively easy way to make a planet:
http://www.geekshelf.com/gallery/danjassim/MoreArtwork/easy.jpg

So-- most planets tend to have little swirlies of continents, atmosphere,
etc. In the past, to make those sorts of things, Ive used the 'render
clouds', then distorted the image in various ways.  Of course that always
entails ugly amounts of work since the cloud rendering always has that same
sparse fractal dimension that means most of the time it's got to be scaled
WAY down from something huge in order to make *little* swirlies and the
like. Any ideas on better ways to do that?

I guess the way I'd probably do the shading would be to make the planet as a
circle, complete with swirlies. Next make another layer on top that with a
circular gradient from white to black-- overlay that on top of the planet,
and lower the opacity until it looked "right". However, that also has the
added effect of *lightening* part of the planet as well as darkening. Is
there a way you know of to do a gradient from "transparent" to "color X"?

DaveE