 Space / 17655
Re: Easy starfield, planet and star recipe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:06:47 GMT

In lugnet.space, Daniel Jassim writes:
Here's a relatively easy way to make a planet:
- Working from the starfield you just made, create a new layer for the
planet (Shift+Ctrl+N or go up to Layer, then New, then Layer again and click
OK or hit Enter)
- Next go to your Tool Palette and grab your Elliptical Marquee tool
- Create a fairly good sized circular selection slightly right of the center
of the starfield by holding down shift and clicking and dragging your mouse
(holding shift results in a perfect circle). Note: Release your mouse button
first, then release shift
- Go to your Tool Palette again and right click on the Paint Bucket to
select the Gradient Fill tool instead
- Move down along your Tool Palette and select your foreground color. Make
sure black is your background color and pick a second color for your
planet(lets say blue)
- Next go up to the gradient styles and select Radial Gradient
- Move your cursor near top left edge of your circlular selection (about 10
o'clock on a watch face) and click and drag diagonally to just past the
center of your circle. This should create a nice, 3-D looking sphere that's
about half black and half blue
.
.
.
The end result should look somewhat like this:

http://www.geekshelf.com/gallery/danjassim/MoreArtwork/easy.jpg

Pretty picture, but the first thing that comes to mind is the planet
looks wrong.  The lit spot is too small, unless the star is tiny, and
practically on top of the planet.  Perhaps you need to drag the
gradient circle just a bit further if you start at the edge of the
planet circle?  The intersection points of the gradient circle and
the planet circle should always be the endpoints of a diameter chord
on the planet circle.  The drag direction should also go through
the center of the planet circle, but I think you covered that.

Now I haven't had my morning dose of coffee yet, so my geometry could
be wrong.  Plus I've never done this myself, so I could be way off base
because of that as well.  I just thought I'd toss the idea out there
in case it might help.

Don