 Space / 17021
Re: More moonbase and Monorail discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 22:56:21 GMT

"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Jon Palmer wrote:

"Markham Carroll" <mc_booga@hotpop.com> wrote in message

Actually, I'd say that at least 8, maybe 10 high, and about 8 wide. • The
whole teminal would need to take up two 48x48 plates, since my 6990 • train
covers 54 lugs in all.

I'd go with the station at 20 studs unless you are building the nearby
modules to contain the ramps down to 10 studs. Please make your
station/tunnel capable of accepting a 6 wide train (which probably means
an 8-wide tunnel).

Good stuff.  I had already decided on 20 studs up before you posted this.
It's also 8 wide.  Now I need to make sure it's tall enough.  Here's an
early construction pic:

http://www.zemi.net/imageblog/mod04.jpg

The red bricks are a guide to show where the ends of the tunnel will be.
The green brick in the foreground is exactly 20 bricks up.  Now if I'm right
(thanks Tim C.) the monorail track connects to the pylons with 2x2 squares
spaced out 16 studs along the track length. In this pic ignore the tan 4xN
plates, they only represent where the track was going ot be.  I can have a
2x brick beam run throhgh the module at the proper height to have the track
resting on a 20 brick height.

The main issue though, like I said is the clearance.  If you could tell me
exactly how tall your train and track combined is that would be great.  In
the pic I have an 8 brick clearance.  I can modify this to be taller but if
I don't have to I won't.

I'm not so concerned with building a structure that can contain an • entire
train.  My main goal with this is to have a tunnel properly aligned on • my
module so it can except the track and train of another moonbase • participant.
If I can pull that off I'll be satisified for now.  If the monorail • doesn't
even stop at my module I don't think I'll care.  I personally think just • the
site of it zooming through will be cool enough.

I agree, stations need not be able to hold a complete train. I will
likely play with longer than two car trains, which will be unlikely to
fit into any reasonable station.

Yeah my module is only 28 or so wide.  So thats how long my tunnel/terminal
is.  The module is actually a home so I personally like the idea of a whole
train stopping for its one resident ;-)  But either way is fine by me.  The
inside can be modified very easily to be a 'terminal' or just a cool tunnel.

How will we make sure that the tracks line up on each module?  The • curves
are 32x32, and will not match up like the modules do.

See this post and this image:

http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=16346
http://www.wegmuller.org/lego/moonbase/moonbase.gif

I definitely think this is the track alignment to go with for the first
run. Let's see how it works, then suggest changes.

Yup.  Well we've cleared two hurdles (you have the track/train and I'm
making my module interface with it). I'd say we're on the right...track.
(gdr ;-)

As far as supporting the track over modules not designed to have track
running through - we will need a bucket of small bits to create
appropriate height pillars since not all supports will be able to go
down to the baseplate.

Yup.  Perhaps we can find a generous SeaLugger with spare 2x2 bricks or
something.

-Jon