 Space / 15917
Re: 32x32 moonbase modules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 05:47:53 GMT

In lugnet.space, William R. Ward writes:

This is a great idea.  But let's make a clear definition of what a
32x32 module should be.  Some people may not have the resources to
build 9 of them.  So how about this:

If you build a 32x32 module, it should be designed to line up with
48x48 modules in one corner.  In other words the porthole should still
be between studs 20-28, counting from the corner.  This way a 32x32
module can be placed in the "L" formed by several 48x48 modules, or
several 32x32 modules can be arranged into a 9x9 pattern.

For maximum flexibility build 2 portals along each edge of a 32x32
module!  The ones not in use can be capped.

--Bill.

Let's try not to muddy the waters too soon.  The standard of 48x48 was set
because 1) the big ol' baseplate is still generally available  2) it allows
lots of building space 3) it's grey,  and  4)it's easier to begin figuring
out how all this will fit together when every plate is the same size.

Let's hold off on planning non 48 or 96 stud modules for a while until we
get our feet wet building this thing with the standard.  Later as we learn
and expand it'll open up.  And hey, get creative and build what ya want on
what ever size you want!  But, for our first attempts at shows and fests and
such, we're gonna stick with the original standard (that's why we decided on
it).  Heck, it's possible to build a module like it'd fit on a 48 (even when
one doesn't have one) and bring the module and attach it to an extra 48.
I'll lend one if I have one.

Will we use 32 plates and landing pads?  Probably when we get to detailing.
Crater plates too.  Most likely they'll get attached to the 48s in rows for
a mondo landing area.

The standard isn't here to crimp anyone's style, it's just a creative
boundary you can work with in freedom inside.  I personally plan to fine a
cool scan of the moon's surface and have a mosaic made and built on that...
or at least get loads of grey 1x1's.

ok it's late and I'm rambling....

Chris <><

SPACE!