 Space / 15492
Re: New MOC - Medevac dropship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:12:27 GMT

Great pictures...could you perhaps take a few of the
Medevac partially disassembled (to show the construction
techniques)?

I'll have to wait for another nice day for 'photos - the
weather here seems to have turned sour again...

I'm rather curious as to how you managed to attach the
side panels...please waffle!!

In lieu of pix, perhaps a thousand (or hopefully fewer)
words will suffice. Please excuse any dodgy brick terminology
- I don't always know the 'official' names.

The floor is built from a single thickness of beams/blocks
sandwiched between 2 layers of plates, and the edge beams
are technic. The walls are then built up with normal bricks
with a slope at the bottom (for looks) and an inverse slope
at the top. Each wall has a big gap in it to make the hatch.

A long (16x2?) plate runs across the the top of the inverse
slopes to form a lintel, and there are 4 2x1 half-peg blocks
on it, 2 at each end. I put technic pins into the bottom
beam to correspond to these points.

See the following:

The black technic pins are visible at the bottom, and the
white pin blocks at the top.

The curved side panels are built up tower-style using the
quarter cylinders and quarter round plates from the Shop
at Home railway tank waggon. I only have one, and the colours
and pieces were what made me do a medical ship - red and white.
The green is a bit of an abberation though.

Each side has two 1x1 technic hole bricks at each end of what
will be the top when it is attached - these engage the pins on
the lintel. They also have two 1x2 *2 hole* technic bricks at
each end of the bottom. These mate with the black pins.

Irritatingly, I'd built it all up with all 1x1 bricks before
realising that the geometry didn't work, (holes weren't the
right distance apart) but the 1x2 bricks were a good fix.

Attaching the sides was the hardest bit, because you have to
engage 8 technic pins at the same time. The walls are
individually weak and tend to collapse inward at this stage.
I swore a lot doing this, but the resulting structure is
incredibly sturdy because everything is locked together.

BTW, what exactly is the dome thing on the starboard side?

The surgical tank is just a bay built inside one set of
cylinders with a Divers sub windscreen over it, and a couple
of waldos to hold the air hose and red 'spleen' tile. I only
thought of this after building the ship, so I had to take the
sides off, rebuild and put them back. Not fun, and nor was
wedging the patient sturdily into place - he kept falling out.

It's supposed to be reminiscent of the Bacta tank they patch
Luke up in after his encounter with the Wampa. The doctor is
using a glove box to work the waldos.

Hope this all made some sort of sense, and feel free to nag me
if I don't get around to doing the construction pictures.

Will