 Space / 15100
Re: Beautiful ship on Brickshelf (sort of)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:02:19 GMT

Hi there Jon (and everyone else)

This is sort of a de-lurk, although I have posted once or twice
before on .loc.uk. I've been waiting for my work address to get
posting confirmation, which has now arrived, but I was tempted
to lurk a little longer to see if your detective skillz noticed
my post to off-topic.test...

Quick intro: I'm 27, married, and work for Particle Systems in
the UK - if you're of a games mind you might have heard of
Independence War 2? I've been a Lego lurker since I heard about
Mindstorms, and despite acquiring piles of stuff I still don't
have an RCX.

Having finally found a decent way to store my Lego in sorted form,
I thought I ought to build something to introduce myself. It's the
first ship I've made since my dark ages, although I did have a
brief dalliance with the Aquanauts a few years back.

And now the construction notes:

I wanted to build something using the new Jango Fett Slave 1
cockpit piece, since it's the right width to put a proper walk-in
cockpit inside. I started off thinking about dropships and gunships,
and I think I'd have ended up with something like the amphibicopter
in AI. Instead I went for something a bit bigger.

The tug is basically a box with a cockpit on the front and lots of
nurnies, and there was a little inspiration from the Nostromo in
Alien, especially in the feet, engines, and cramped interior...

I think that at some point I'll have to rework the roof - the
two 8x6 panels are detachable, and the rear section behind the
drive ring unplugs (technic pegs) but you can't really see enough
of the inside like that because the hatch framework divides the
cabin from above. To take the interior pictures I had to remove
some of this. Originally I built it like this for strength, but
the underframe is now strong enough that I probably don't need to.

I spent most of the Jubilee weekend here building and tweaking it,
but didn't get around to taking any pictures until last weekend.

Gil, your comment about the Sighthound Recon was not misplaced -
I think it was that which showed that the humble hatch could be
the core of a model, (plus the whole thing is amazing.)

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
My apologies if I stole your thunder on this, I just had to mention it.

No worries. I meant to post this last night, but Brickshelf must
have gone into maintenance mode soon after I uploaded the images.
I wanted to wait until I could link to them before posting to Lugnet.
Then I had to go through the whole sign-up rigmarole again at work.
Is it bad to have posting rights from 2 email addresses?

Finally, do I need to do anything formal to de-lurk properly, like
the old RTL form?

Cheers,

Will