 Space / 14359
Re: MOC: The ClaimJumper - Pirate Surveyor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 20:43:38 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
Greetings,

I would like to present The ClaimJumper....a pirate suveyor vessel from The
Frontier.

Just what is a pirate surveyor you ask?  The story goes that on planets in
the outer rim (known collectively as The Frontier), larger corporate
interests own the mineral rights to nearly every square inch of these
worlds, leaving a few to be owned by some independent camps that hope to
strike it rich.

However, characters like our friend here belong to neither group.  They are
a fringe element, using highly tuned geological surveying packages and often
illegal radiant detection emitters to sniff out the richest deposits,
usually of highly prized deposits of various elements used for fuel or
weapons production.  This information is either sold to pirate miners, or is
used by the individual to extract their own rewards.

The ClaimJumper represents the most effective and notorious pirate surveyor
on The Frontier.  Commanded by an offworlder known only as Manko, the
massive sensor booms collect geological data in 1000km swaths, storing the
locations and analysis in a nearly exhaustable servercore.

The CliffJumper is completely autonomous, using it's geo-probe proboscis to
extract fuel rich minerals and process them into a usable energy source.
While the sensor booms sweep the ground, the omni-directional dish on it's
'hump' and atmospheric sensor package scour the skies for signs of the
claim's righful owner.  The 2 vectoring partical turbines provide lift and
thrust, allowing the ClaimJumper to hover above potential finds.

For closer inspections, the articulated landing struts allow for a perching
on the most uneven surface.  Once down, Manko can retrieve the small jetpack
from it's storage bay, load it with the nessary equipment and take the
search on the 'road'.

Anyway, enough chatter:

PLMKWYT

Cheers,
-G

Hey Gil, that ship is mighty cool. I think you really captured that surveyor
ship type of feel! Great cockpit design and an overall good blend of
colours. Keep up the good work!

Zac