 Space / 14001
Re: Which Classic Space Set?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:46:09 GMT

"Dave Lovelace" <dave@umop.com> wrote in message
news:GvE0Ax.27r@lugnet.com...

Big shock, the Galaxy Explorer is blowing everything out of the water.

Heh. Nostalgia. Nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia.. but I doubt the kids
will be impressed.

Even though I'd lusted after it for twenty years, when I finally obtained a
Galaxy Explorer in absolutely mint condition, built it and held it up,
swooshed it, turned it over, gave it a load and unload, and... I was
disappointed. Its design is just too old-fashined and dinky. Don't get me
wrong, it's a good set, but only glamourous for its time. It just doesn't
hold up now, except for the colour scheme which is still about the best
colour scheme you can give a spaceship.
I disassembled mine after about a month and I've put it away in storage,
something I'd never ever consider doing with my 5571 or 6285 which still
hold pride of place years after being built. They are masterpieces.

On the other hand, out of these 5 the Galaxy Explorer is the choice I'd make
for parts! Crater plate, landing pad, trans-yellow, tons of grey plates and
rocket cones! Yum.
Actually, I wonder if Lego are unable to make crater plates anymore, and
that's why they offered us the Battrax instead of a base...

--
Cheers,
Paul