 Space / 13555
Re: Fancy Docking Idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 01:16:31 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
Hello,

I've had an idea for something that might be an option for an umbilicus
between ships of a capital or large subcapital size.

Many of larger vessels often have independent support ships, such as the
current US carrier groups.  Whether they be supply ships, refueling, scouts etc.

My thought was to have a ship that acts in all of these rolls.  It would
carry a large fuel cell, perhaps oxygen and water tanks, general cargo area
and as relates to this conversation, 'taxi door' gantry.  Essentially, the
midsection of the ship would have short extensions on both sides with
conventional airlocks equiped with generic mating parts.  The airlocks would
be connected by a short, self contained distance. Whenever two ships would
need to transfer personelle, this supply/gantry ship would position itself
between the two cap ships, connect airlocks and voila...instant umbilicus.
Fuel and air transfer could be done thru addtional connectors, or as
incorporations into the airlock conjoiners.

The size of this ship would still be reasonably small (I would say 30-35
studs long) if the fuel, air, small cargo container would be externally mounted.

actually, this is a cool idea IMHO... I have small droids that caretake the
hull and stuff, not as small as Jon's droids, my ships only have about 4 to
8 of these, they could be run from this lamprey class ship too.  I can
totally see this happening.  There was some discussion a while back about a
universal docking device, this ship would be the perfect place to monut it.
hhmmmm....

I'm still pretty new to this whole gig, so I apologize in advance if I've
missed the spirit of the thread.

there's nothing wrong with taking a thread in new directions...

BTW Joel, the pop-out airlock looks awesome...I wish I could work such
mechanics of motion into my MOCs...

what's stopping you?  :)  just steal my designs!  Most of the builders in
.space use each other's design concepts all the time.  Although, of course
it is nice to give credit if you take something off someone's ship for your own.

later!
Joel