 Space / 13549
Re: Fancy Docking Idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 14:42:22 GMT

I like Gil's idea of an umbilicus ship and can see such a ship in action. I
am still working on the original challenge of making something flexible. I
agree with Dan that the door in the Final Duel I set looks pretty cool andd
two can be connected, but I have problems making the creation airtight, thus
loosing the entire raison d'etre of an airlock...

To be continued, I'm sure, keep up posting new ideas.

Alexander

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
Hello,

I've had an idea for something that might be an option for an umbilicus
between ships of a capital or large subcapital size.

Many of larger vessels often have independent support ships, such as the
current US carrier groups.  Whether they be supply ships, refueling, scouts etc.

My thought was to have a ship that acts in all of these rolls.  It would
carry a large fuel cell, perhaps oxygen and water tanks, general cargo area
and as relates to this conversation, 'taxi door' gantry.  Essentially, the
midsection of the ship would have short extensions on both sides with
conventional airlocks equiped with generic mating parts.  The airlocks would
be connected by a short, self contained distance. Whenever two ships would
need to transfer personelle, this supply/gantry ship would position itself
between the two cap ships, connect airlocks and voila...instant umbilicus.
Fuel and air transfer could be done thru addtional connectors, or as
incorporations into the airlock conjoiners.

The size of this ship would still be reasonably small (I would say 30-35
studs long) if the fuel, air, small cargo container would be externally mounted.

Just noodling.
<snip>