 Space / 13067
Re: Two New MOC's: Tourism on the moon?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 04:26:22 GMT

In lugnet.space, Joe Meno writes:
In lugnet.announce.moc, William R. Ward writes:

I have uploaded two new MOC's to represent my vision for space
tourism: an Earth-to-orbit passenger shuttle, and a lunar tour vehicle
for exploring the moon's surface in style.  First, links to my web
pages and Brickshelf (same pics, but there are descriptions on my
pages):

Passenger Shuttle:

Hey, it's the Pan Am Orion from 2001! And a really good version of it!

The design isn't really based on the Pan Am shuttle, but it performs the
same function and is somewhat similar in shape.  I think the Orion is quite
a bit bigger, though.

Lunar vehicle:

and that's the ATV version of the Lunar Bus on 2001! Wow!

Actually I hadn't considered that.  I'll have to re-watch 2001, it's been a
long time.  If it bears any resemblance to any vehicle from the movie, it's
either a coincidence or an overactive subconscious.  I've completely
forgotten what that ATV looks like.

I took the tour, got to know the crew, but didn't get any ticket
information...what's up with that?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it... ;-)

Seriously, those are well-designed models. I love the detail you placed in
them, esecially the shuttle door and landing gear (landing gear is a problem
I am contemplating with another model I am working on, and taking a look at
your solution is a great help!)

Click hinges have been quite a boon for landing gear building, and the new
round click-hinge-to-Technic-axle adapters especially so.  The parts came
from the necks of pterodactyls in one of the Studios sets.  My PB4Y-2 bomber
was built before I had any of those round pieces, and so the wheel wells
have to be quite a bit bigger.

The lunar shuttle is great becaus eof the engine swivels, for starters. That
and the independent suspension. Really well done!

For years I've been trying to come up with a design that incorporates the
rotating engnies and makes sense, and I think I've finally managed.  The
suspension was almost a last-minute addition, but it worked out well.  Thanks!

Now where do I get a ticket?

You gotta know the right people... ;-)

--Bill.