 Space / 12176
Re: New transforming space ship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 19:18:26 GMT

Thanks Bryce.  I'm glad you picked up on that.  Besides for the folding body
and swinging legs (both of which are in every transforming ship I know of) the
rest was all original.  Everything was carefully planned and drawn out before
building.  The real challenges were with the arms which I wanted to seem bulky
in mech mode but had to bee pretty small in fighter mode.  The arms that are on
there now are the third versions.  Also getting the swivel thrusters to line up
nicely so that they poked out in mecha mode was pretty difficult too.

Pat J

In lugnet.space, Bryce McGlone writes:
Pat,
Anything that transforms is by definition much more difficult than building
either a mecha or a spaceship. I really like the spaceship. On the mecha I
agree with your critique. That said, what really astounds me is that (to my
knowledge) you aren't using any toy which transforms as a reference. That
alone boogles my mind.

BTW it's good to see you back on Lugnet again.

Later,
Bryce

In lugnet.space, Patrick Justison writes:
I have just finished my first attempt at a transforming space fighter.  I
used the basic layout of a macross valkrye (sp?) but changed a few things.

The arms fold up but remanin on the outside of the legs.  When the head
folds out for the mecha mode the center thruster rolls up into the spaces it
leaves between the legs.

I think that I will keep this model around and try to make some design
improvements.  I think the mecha chest area is too big.  The legs are also a
little too small.

Brickshelf wasn't working for me so I just made a few quick web pages.

LMKWYT,
Pat J

Space ship pics
http://members.telocity.com/~PatrickJustison/yj420/yj420_1.html