 Robotics / Vision Command / 174
173  |  175
Subject:
VC under Win2k -- was: Running Vision Command on XP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:59:55 GMT

Ted Hess recently posted a mail here with a procedure for installing Vision
Command under Windows XP. He had not (yet) tried Windows 2000. I did (Win2k
Professional edition), and the bottom line is Ted's procedure works for Win2k
as well.

Ted -- once more, thanks ;-)

Geert-Jan

What I did:

1. I install VCS 1.0 on a Windows Millennium Edition machine.
Ted suggests Windows 98, but WinME works as well.
2. I upgraded VCS to use the USB IR Tower, running Vision Command Updater.exe
from the RIS2.0 CD.
3. I tried to install the camera on the Win2k(PE) machine by just plugging it
in the USB port. Duh -- no result. You need to get the LogiTech
drivers. This phase was a bit confusing, see also below.
4. I installed QuickCam from the VCS CD [D:\QuickCam\setup.exe]. This
installed RealPlayer with associated stuff, and resetted the computer.
5. At this point, one should be careful: My Windows now started recognizing
new hardware, alternating between the LogiTech WebCam and the LEGO
Cam. Bottomline: NEVER select for installing the LEGO Cam, ONLY
install the LogiTech drivers. Ted said so, I ignored it, and paid the
price (timewise, waiting for my laptop to reboot).
6. After the final reboot, and the camera recognized as a LogiTech cam,
I could run LEGO's QuickCam [c:\Program Files\LEGO MINDSTORMS\Lego
Cam\QuickCam.exe] and see myself ;-)
7. I zipped the installation on the WinME machine, dumped it on a server
(it was roughly a 160MB), and then downloaded it to my Win2k laptop.
8. At the Win2k laptop, I unzipped it into a temporal directory, and then
moved the Vision Command directory (and only that!) to the
LEGO MINDSTORMS directory on C:
9. Ted suggests to register the software -- I didn't do that (yet) but I
am able to run VCS.