 Robotics / Vision Command / 163
162  |  164
Subject:
Running Vision Command on XP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:32:42 GMT

I think I found the key to my previous success at getting VCS to run on
W2K/XP. This is the good news - The bad news is you need to get a copy of
RIS 2.0 and run the VCS update utility on the RIS CD. I don't know if this
update is available from Lego any other way. The update can be found in the
CD root directory, called: "Vision Command Updater.exe". This will update
VCS to version 1.1 which seems to run on W2K/XP!

Below are some "easy" instructions for installing VCS on an XP system.
Haven't tried Windows 2000...

/ted

-------------------- [ legovcs_xp.txt ] --------------------

On a Win98 system:

1. Install VCS 1.0
2. Upgrade to VCS 1.1 from RIS 2.0 CD.
   - Launch "Vision Command Updater.exe" from CD root.

On the XP system:

1. Latest DirectX (min 8.0a)

2. Plugin Lego Camera to USB port and let XP configure native drivers
   - Verify by using Explorer to open camera

3. Install QuickCam from VCS CD [D:\QuickCam\setup.exe]
   - Installs RealPlayer Basic 7
   - Restarts system
   - DO NOT install Lego Cam Driver (Cancel from setup, system will
re-configure XP drivers)
   - Verify by running QuickCam [C:\Program Files\LEGO MINDSTORMS\Lego
Cam\QuickCam.exe]

4. Install QuickTime from CD [D:\Third Party
Installers\QuickTimeInstaller\quicktimeinstaller.exe]

5. Copy installed VCS from '98 system [C:\Program Files\LEGO
MINDSTORMS\Vision Command\*.*]
   - All files and subdirectories; ~200MB (XCOPY /S /E ...)

6. Edit and import legovcs.reg into RegEdit.(Need make sure drive & paths
match your install)
   - Makes VisionCommand.exe believe product installed
   - Adds correct 'AppPaths' to registry

7. Create shortcut to vcs.exe or VisionCommand.exe whichever your preference

------------------- [ legovcs.reg ] --------------------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\LEGO\LEGO MINDSTORMS\VisionCommand]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\LEGO\LEGO MINDSTORMS\VisionCommand\Version]
@="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\LEGO MINDSTORMS\Vision Command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\LEGO MINDSTORMS\Vision Command\1.00.000]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\VCS.exe]
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\LEGO MINDSTORMS\\Vision Command"
@="C:\\Program Files\\LEGO MINDSTORMS\\Vision Command\\VCS.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\VisionCommand.exe]
@="C:\\Program Files\\LEGO MINDSTORMS\\Vision Command\\VisionCommand.exe"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\LEGO MINDSTORMS\\Vision Command"